FANDOM


  • Welcome to the Munkapedia community review series in which you are the critic! This review thread is for Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip. The series seeks to focus on your thoughts about the film itself so avoid going too much into the plot details here.

    Navigation: ALVINNN!!!The MusicalThe Road Chip SoundtrackThe Road Chip


    This thread is open to any reviews, comments, criticisms, improvements, goofs, etc directed towards the fourth CGI/live-action film, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip.

    This is NOT a Q&A about the film. Such posts will be deleted so please stay on-topic.

      Loading editor
    • This is how I rank the movies:

      Best: Alvin and the Chipmunks

      Fantastic: The Road Chip

      Okay: The Squeakquel

      Worst: Chipwrecked

      I thought the Road Chip was fantastic. You know, without going into too much plot detail, but after watching it, I can see why the Chipettes were given minor roles. It was so they could focus on the interaction between the Chipmunks and Myles.

      Also, those clips of Uptown Funk and Home on YouTube, turns out those were trimed. They sing the entirty of those songs in the movie.

      Also, unlike Ian; whenever Suggs was on screen my heart was in my throat. I was actually scared for Alvin, Simon and Theodore. With Ian it was like "Oh here's Ian, their going to defeat him in a goofy fashion, no doubt." It wasn't easy to defeat Suggs either. It took every bit of wit they had to get past him. Ian was always defeated very quickly with no surpense.

        Loading editor
    • Tankengineguy wrote:

      I thought the Road Chip was fantastic.

      Also, those clips of Uptown Funk and Home on YouTube, turns out those were trimed. They sing the entirty of those songs in the movie.

      Also, unlike Ian; whenever Suggs was on screen my heart was in my throat. I was actually scared for Alvin, Simon and Theodore. With Ian it was like "Oh here's Ian, their going to defeat him in a goofy fashion, no doubt." It wasn't easy to defeat Suggs either. It took every bit of wit they had to get past him. Ian was always defeated very quickly with no surpense.

      I hope so.

      That's interesting to know. I think this is the first time they sing a song in its entirety in the CGI films. Makes more sense to have a smaller soundtrack.

      So, Suggs is more intimidating? A strong villain adds more suspense, something Ian just lost/never had.

        Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM wrote:

      So, Suggs is more intimidating? A strong villain adds more suspense, something Ian just lost/never had.

      You might not believe this, but he threatens to stuff them at one point. 

        Loading editor
    • For those who are worried they are going to break tradition, The Road Chip does end with ALVINNN!!! I don't think that really ruins anything because we've been expecting that, haven't we?

        Loading editor
    • Tankengineguy wrote:
      DEmersonJMFM wrote:

      So, Suggs is more intimidating? A strong villain adds more suspense, something Ian just lost/never had.

      You might not believe this, but he threatens to stuff them at one point. 

      Not really that surprising. Ian threatened to barbecue the Chippettes in The Squeakquel.

      What was surpising is just how adult this film is compared to previous installments (though Chipwrecked was getting there with Alvin's insecurities). 

        Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM
      DEmersonJMFM removed this reply because:
      Off-topic, see Thread:14887 for favorite film.
      21:39, December 19, 2015
      This reply has been removed
    • It was actually alot better than I expected, but it wasn't all around fantastic. I get why the chipettes weren't there for most of the movie, but I wish they did one more song with them. Home was absolutely fantastic. As for the villain, he wasn't the best to be frank, he was as intimidating as Ian... so yeah. I did however like Miles's backstory and he wasn't as bad as a character as I thought. Overall, I'l give it a 6/10 for people who are neutral about the chipmunks and for the fans like myself, I'll give it a 7/10. It's not a must-see movie, but I'll admit it was kinda of cute and I liked the story.

        Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM
      DEmersonJMFM removed this reply because:
      Not a Q&A as noted in original post.
      14:40, December 23, 2015
      This reply has been removed
    • I really loved the new movie, it was much better than expected. But I noticed something that is bothering me. I didn't see affection between Simon nd Jeanette, what make me believe that there will be a fifth movie.

        Loading editor
    • Sidmon wrote:
      I really loved the new movie, it was much better than expected. But I noticed something that is bothering me. I didn't see affection between Simon nd Jeanette, what make me believe that there will be a fifth movie.

      I doubt it, I think four is enough. Besides, the movie was supposed to be about family. They already had a "simonette" movie (Chipwrecked).

        Loading editor
    • Pencil987 wrote:
      Sidmon wrote:
      I really loved the new movie, it was much better than expected. But I noticed something that is bothering me. I didn't see affection between Simon nd Jeanette, what make me believe that there will be a fifth movie.
      I doubt it, I think four is enough. Besides, the movie was supposed to be about family. They already had a "simonette" movie (Chipwrecked).

      I understand your point of view, and I agree with you, but the lack of affection sounds a little weird for me.

        Loading editor
    • I saw the film today and OMG! It was so amazing! It had so much comedy and heartfilled scenes. I loved the movie so much! If I had to rank the films from best to worst, it would be 

      1. Best: Alvin and the Chipmunks

      2. Tied for second: Squeakquel and The Road Chip

      3. Kind of good: Chipwrecked

      Despite these rankings, I love of all these films and I wonder if there will be a fifth film. 

        Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM
      DEmersonJMFM removed this reply because:
      Off-topic.
      04:04, December 29, 2015
      This reply has been removed
    • Did they leave the storyline open so there could be a fifth?

        Loading editor
    • Maybe it is open, I am not sure. The wedding of Dave and Samantha could happen on a fifth movie (although I prefer Claire), and that could make the romance of chipmunks and chipettes bigger.

        Loading editor
    • I think this might even be one of my favorite 2015 movies. I just couldn't help laughing hysterically at some parts, especially the scene in the airport when...lets say Simon got a bit too nervous there. I know it was kinda gross, but at the same time, I probably laughed so hard that if I had a mouth full of pop at the scene, I probably would've spat it out on everything!

        Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM
      DEmersonJMFM removed this reply because:
      Spam.
      17:57, December 30, 2015
      This reply has been removed
    • Sidmon wrote:
      I understand your point of view, and I agree with you, but the lack of affection sounds a little weird for me.

      why? :o

        Loading editor
    • Chipettes98 wrote:
      why? :o

      I was expecting that they would be closer, like the others, you know 

        Loading editor
    • I saw the movie and after months of worrying I LOVED IT!! The CHipettes weren't very demoted they were used as a clever plot device. 

      I certainly enjoy James Suggs who is even more of a threat then Ian Hawke ever was! 

      I'm sorry for all those complaints nad worries prior to the films release. THe film was AWESOME!! MUNK-TASTIC!! Thank you! :)

        Loading editor
    • Sidmon wrote:
      I was expecting that they would be closer, like the others, you know 

      the lack of affection was the consequence of chipwrecked 

        Loading editor
    • Chipettes98 wrote:
      the lack of affection was the consequence of chipwrecked 

      What are you talking about "Consequence?" There's no consequene for Chipmunks and Chipettes romance.

        Loading editor
    • Ngh93 wrote:
      What are you talking about "Consequence?" There's no consequene for Chipmunks and Chipettes romance.

      i mean to simon and jeanette no for the others

        Loading editor
    • Chipettes98 wrote:
      i mean to simon and jeanette no for the others

      I understand what consequence would be (Simon would not know how to talk with her after that) but I don't believe in that because Simon and Jeanette were interacting with each other in the of Chipwrecked.

        Loading editor
    • Chipettes98
      Chipettes98 removed this reply because:
      personal
      22:23, January 1, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • Sidmon wrote:
      I understand what consequence would be (Simon would not know how to talk with her after that) but I don't believe in that because Simon and Jeanette were interacting with each other in the of Chipwrecked.

      i mean the fact that they have a whole movie for them is the "consequence" that they don't have anything now.

        Loading editor
    • Let's be conservative in the use of the quote feature (there's no need to be quoting a quote of a quote of a quote) in order to keep threads from becoming longer than they need to be.

        Loading editor
    • Pencil987 wrote:
      Sidmon wrote:
      I really loved the new movie, it was much better than expected. But I noticed something that is bothering me. I didn't see affection between Simon nd Jeanette, what make me believe that there will be a fifth movie.

      I doubt they'll be making a fifth movie, and there wasn't as much Simon and Jeanette because we already had a lot of them in Chipwrecked.

        Loading editor
    • I loved it. And I'm sorry, but I didn't mind The Chipettes' being demoted. In fact, it's in my opinion that it was just what the films needed. We're back to focusing mainly on Dave and The Chipmunks, and the theme of family. I also know people enjoy romance, yet the absence was welcomed in this case. It feels like they started to make some effort, but is it too late?

      It was pretty funny, heartwarming near the end of it all, and overall an enjoyable watch. It also explains off the awkward idea of romance between The Chipmunks and The Chipettes (with people thinking The Chipettes were adopted and would be Sevilles). It turns out the Chipmunks were yet to be officially adopted by Dave, and once they were in this movie, it was solely just them. The musical performances were good too, I feel the boys were more expressive. Especially Alvin when he sang Home and his movements went in line with the lyrics. I always found it a pet peeve when you could tell it's obviously Alvin's vocals but the other two sing along with it as if they were the ones singing (or even when you can only hear one, but it's like, the screen shows all three singing...what). It happened in the Frankenstein movie too. But they seem to fix it up a little here. Still some mishaps, but better. Sorry, I like accuracy.

      Myles I felt was very stereotypical of a character. Of course he would have daddy issues and start off as a jerk. I did like the growing relationship with him and The Chipmunks though. I'm just surprised Alvin didn't get back at him in some way with the mistreatment. Especially when he literally got squirrels and had them eat nuts laced with cough syrup to knock them out. He's very much capable of being a little criminally evil turd and I love him for it.

      Alvin vs. Suggs in that bar was hella awesome. Comedic, but hella awesome. Suggs was really the most comedic one of the two because he just went through the motions of martial arts. Alvin on the other hand, actually had the legit skills, lol.

      And aww at him being the distraction so his brothers can escape, twice. Simon was more laid back this time around, while still having a good head. And Theodore has turned rather...daring. His reaction when Eleanor called him "Theo-dorable" was so smug and then there was the "I like big butts" stint. Plus, the fact that he willingly went on the dance floor so confidently.

      I felt the reason why The Chipettes came back in the end was so forced, and it didn't make sense. The Chipmunks are only going to perform a song, which they've done way before the girls themselves ever appeared, did they seriously need The Chipettes' "help" for that? They could have been a lot more creative to be honest. It was like they were lazy and were just like, "yeah, that would do, whatever, just get them to appear for the performance".

      Also, the shade at squirrels continues on, lmao.

      My rank:

      Road Chip

      Alvin & The Chipmunks

      Squeakquel


      Chipwrecked

        Loading editor
    • Good news! The Road Chip finally passed the budget! Now we just need to make sure it keeps making money. 

        Loading editor
    • Cool!

        Loading editor
    • Just watched the film a couple hours ago and this film is quite underrated by critics. This is without doubt one of the best of the CGI films. As a side note, please bare with this review as I usually watch something twice before reviewing (once to enjoy it and the second time to pick up stuff I might have missed and to remember what I watched) so things might be all over the place or I might have missed observations I would of wanted to talk about.

      This is indeed in the Spoilers board, but I wanted to state there are many spoilers here, more so than above (though I don't reveal the big twist). Just saying.

      The film immediately draws you in. The taping of Dave's surprise video was full of laughs. Alvin, being Alvin, quickly elevates the state of the party to the dismay of Simon but the writers find a way for Simon to have fun in a way he wouldn't anticipate himself doing. Sorry Dave but you had to have known they would of gotten in trouble by themselves.

      I'll break quickly and talk about the animation. Wow. It is done so well this time, by far the best of the CGI films. The detail and the fuzziness of the boys and girls is awesome.

      The girls break away from the boys and Dave in a way that's understandable and believable. They seem to move out though to live by themselves. Not a big deal in my book.

      When I seen that the soundtrack was so short I was initially disappointed but after seeing the film the songs work great. They aren't singing something at every turn and there's good opportunity to have dialogue between the characters. There were more non-Chipmunk songs in the film in the background, but that's okay. The performances were great, giving the film a little bit of lift.

      Miles was an interesting character, initially not caring anything about The Chipmunks. After finding common ground, they bond well until he actually likes them. He wasn't the antagonist many were expecting.

      Theodore seemed much more open in this film, continuously saying things that would get them in more trouble. He also was more active and confident in himself. An improvement from The Squeakquel. Am I the only one who thought Theodore died for a second?

      The squirrels. Set up the perfect ending to the film. Priceless.

      Anyone else think Ms. Price was somewhat a take on Miss Miller?

      Suggs. Wow. He's best described as an obsessive fan turned enemy (be careful older fans). His very frequent use of his title made some of his interactions seem repetitive but they worked okay. Classic agent who thinks he's all that because he has a badge. He was lots of fun though. The bar scene was very funny. The New Orleans party was by far my favorite though of him in the film (moonshine, crowd surfing, and tattoos, oh yeah).

      The ending twist worked well and helped bring a confirmation about how the characters felt about each other. The film was about family and that message was quite strong. It's nice to see a strong message again like in many of the episodes.

      "Home" is still my favorite song of the film. The performance was meaningful. True that it might not of needed The Chipettes to make the same point, I feel the song was better with them.

      Lastly, I feel a need to address the crude humor. At least a few of you know my stance on crude humor; I don't think it's necessary to make something funny. That being said, I don't see much problem with how some of it's used in this film (there's not really much). The burp from Miles helped illustrate Simon's point. Simon's "instances" while in Miles' pants are also understandable given how incredibility nervous he was. The groin shot, well that wasn't needed.

      Overall, a well done film. Chipwrecked is still my favorite (not because I think the final product is better than this one but because of Simonette).

        Loading editor
    • Everything you said about the film was great and I thought the same things. I actually too thought Theodore died, but was so happy when he came back to life. Suggs was a great villain and threat to the Chipmunks. The songs were so great and catchy, especially Home. I thought Miss Price was a take on Miss Miller. I really liked your review.

      Also, I am still planning to see the Road Chip again soon. 

        Loading editor
    • Now I will be able to make a better review because I am using a computer right now.

      I really enjoyed the movie. I believe the producters of the film make it right because it was someing original even with an original song. That was brilhant. Suggs was by far a better villan than Ian Hank because he literaly chase them and that was awesome. The movie really make everyone laught in the cinema.

      Reading some reviews I nocited something that I hadn't noticed before about Miss Proce. Yes, she could be new Miss Miller. In fact that would be an great idea for a new movie. I will explain.

      I don't believe Chipettes will live forever on New York because of American Idol. So if they come back to L.A., they could live with Miss Price. Just an idea.

      Besides that, I think it could have more affection between Simon and Jeanette. (I know I have said that but I wanted to put in here to make an complete review).

      Anyway, the movie is amazing and the songs are wonderful!

        Loading editor
    • Sidmon wrote:
      Now I will be able to make a better review because I am using a computer right now.

      I really enjoyed the movie. I believe the producters of the film make it right because it was someing original even with an original song. That was brilhant. Suggs was by far a better villan than Ian Hank because he literaly chase them and that was awesome. The movie really make everyone laught in the cinema.

      Reading some reviews I nocited something that I hadn't noticed before about Miss Proce. Yes, she could be new Miss Miller. In fact that would be an great idea for a new movie. I will explain.

      I don't believe Chipettes will live forever on New York because of American Idol. So if they come back to L.A., they could live with Miss Price. Just an idea.

      Besides that, I think it could have more affection between Simon and Jeanette. (I know I have said that but I wanted to put in here to make an complete review).

      Anyway, the movie is amazing and the songs are wonderful!

      I don't think the Chipettes will live in New York. They were only on tour there. I think they'd still live with Dave. They don't need to be legally adopted that way romance could still happen.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message