Simon has had it with the incompetence of his family, so he creates a device simply known as the "Thinking Cap." The said device is capable of boosting the IQ of anyone who wears it. Upon using it on Alvin, who improves his game on the football team by making plays, Theodore, who is trying to train Lilly, and Dave, who is balancing the books. Seeing the positive effects it has, Simon signs his family up for his favorite show, Genius in the House. However, Simon loses the thinking cap on the night they are on and the IQs of Alvin, Theodore and Dave revert to normal.
After the others flub the first round of questions, Simon pulls the Sevilles to a tie by doing a bang-up job in the next round. However, when the others are to compete in the "Brain Buster" round, Simon sneaks out, unable to face the embarrassment of his family losing on national television. However, as he mopes by a statue of his scientific founding father, Thomas Edison, the rest of the Seville family catches up to him. Simon thinks they are angry, but they tell him about the grand prizes. Simon wonders how they did it without him, and Dave explains that education and intellect does not always come from school and book learning, but often through life experience. When asked how they answered the last question, they said it was from an earlier quote of Simon's: "We do not know one-millionth of 1% about anything" -Thomas Alva Edison!
- This episode was adapted into the 1990s Harvey comic.
- The game show host, Guy Brilliant, may be a reference to Sesame Street's game show host Guy Smiley.
- Dave's Brain Buster question: "The ozone layer screens the Sun's harmful UV rays. Harvard screens its applicants. What does a washing machine screen screen?" Dave's answer: "Lint!"
- Theodore's Brain Buster question: "True or false: One of the ingredients for coffee cake is coffee." Theodore's answer: "False."
- Alvin's Brain Buster question: "Who are The Bronx Bombers?" Alvin's answer: "The New York Yankees."
- Part of the Alvin and the Chipmunks: School's Out for Summer VHS.
- Part of The Mystery of the Easter Chipmunk and the Easter Collection DVDs.