While Alvin is looking for a game, he stumbles upon some baby clothes. When he shows Dave, Dave shows them a photo album.
The story begins with Dave attempting to write music in his leaky house. Faced with a deadline to keep his job and house, his worries multiple once a "loving mother" drops the boys off on Dave's doorstep as a result of a nut shortage. After he gladly takes them in, his evil landlord finds out, threatening him to get rid of the boys. When Dave forgets his brunch date with Julie, he leaves the boys alone. The three decide to write a hit song for Dave and send it to a radio station. Later, the boys mistakenly ruin Dave's brunch date and are kidnapped by the landlord.
Unknown to Dave, his landlord sells the boys to the zoo as snake food. After Dave finds out the truth, he rushes to the zoo, just missing Alvin and his brothers as they are escaping. As Dave makes it to the snake pen expecting the worst, the boys go to Food World to find Dave's phone number but are chased out after they ruin the store. Upset, Dave makes his way to the studio to be fired with The Chipmunks close behind. They find Rockin' Rod's room and play "Witch Doctor," which becomes a hit. When Dave hears his song, he rushes to find the boys who convince Dave's boss to triple his salary with which he buys a new house (with no landlords).
- Dave's girlfriend Julie resembles Claire and how The Chipmunks ruined his date.
- This episode differs from the special, as Dave actually found the chipmunks in a cabin because they were playing a game of hide and seek, but in the episode it's shown that Vinny (The Chipmunk's later revealed-to-be mother) left them on Dave Seville's porch.
- The book The Chipmunk Story is based off this episode.
- A clip from the episode later appears in the episode Chipmunkmania.
- Part of the Alvin and the Chipmunks in The Chipmunk Family Tree VHS.