For Whom the Bell Tolls is an episode of the ALVINNN!!! and The Chipmunks series.
The Chipmunks visit a performance by The Amazing Bryan, a hypnotist. Simon expresses his displeasure and stress as he attempts to study for the Bellview Ultimate Trivia Tournament (the B.U.T.T.). As the show continues, the hypnotist begins his act, which causes an individual's IQ to drop by 80 points at the sound of a bell, on Miss Smith which unintentionally affects Simon as well. Thinking the show's ridiculous, Simon leaves while still under the influence of the bell. For the rest of the day and into competition day Simon experiences switches from his normal self and that of a dufus (such as odd comments, tying his shoes together, and not knowing how to use a spoon). Backstage of the B.U.T.T., Simon and Kevin exhibit signs of severe stress: tense shoulders, inability to breathe and/or excessive sweating. The contest kicks off and after Simon begins getting every other question correct, Alvin realizes the bell is to blame. During the break Alvin comes up with two ideas to help his brother. The first fails so he has Theodore help change the sound by tying up Cheesy and using his computer. With the sound no longer a bell, Simon finishes in first place. Later that night at the Seville House, Alvin feels like he forgot something but can't remember what (Cheesy's still tied up).
- The episode's title is a reference to the song of the same name by the band Metalica.
- Lady Rara is a homage of Lady Gaga.
- This is the third episode in which Lady Gaga has been mentioned, either directly or indirectly (the other episodes being Saving Simon and Wax Dave).
- This is the second episode in which Alvin realized he was forgetting something at the end of the episode (the first being Let's Make a Deal).
- When this episode premiered in the US, it aired with a rerun of Alvin's Wild Weekend.