The film stars Jason Lee, Tony Hale, Kimberly Williams-Paisley, Josh Green, and Bella Thorne with the voices of Justin Long, Matthew Gray Gubler, Jesse McCartney (as The Chipmunks), Christina Applegate, Anna Faris, and Kaley Cuoco (as The Chipettes). It was originally scheduled to have premiered on December 23, 2015 in the US, but was moved up to a December 18, 2015 release (against Star Wars and Sisters).
The film has received unfavorable reviews from movie critics / websites, such as Rotten Tomatoes, but, despite also grossing the lowest of the CGI/live-action films (more than $100 million less than Chipwrecked's total worldwide gross), has proved to be a financial success making over $85 million to date in North America alone and over $234 million to date in total worldwide receipts.
Through a series of misunderstandings, Alvin, Simon and Theodore come to believe that Dave is going to propose to his new girlfriend in Miami... and dump them. They have three days to get to him and stop the proposal, saving themselves not only from losing Dave but possibly from gaining a terrible stepbrother.
The Chipmunks and The Chipettes are setting up a surprise birthday bash for Dave. Alvin invites and hires many people and celebrities to the dismay of Simon, before Dave returns home in dissatisfaction. Dave is disappointed in them, but agrees to take them to mini-golf, and meet the woman he has been dating for the past few months. While the Chipmunks like Samantha, her son Miles is a bully who physically abuses the trio. Later, the Chipmunks find an engagement ring in a bag Dave brought home and believe that he's going to propose to Samantha. They try to steal the ring but are unsuccessful.
Dave has to produce a record for Ashley Grey in Miami and decides to bring Samantha along with him. The Chipmunks and Miles are staying together, but they agree to head to Miami to sabotage the proposal. The Chipmunks drug three squirrels and dress them up in their clothes to fool their hard of seeing neighbor Ms. Price, who was tasked with looking after them. The Chipmunks travel on a plane, but Theodore lets out several animals which cause an emergency landing and brings the ire of Air Marshall James Suggs, who has a personal vendetta against the Chipmunks (Suggs' girlfriend left him while "The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)" played in the background).
The Chipmunks head to a bar and perform, but this is interrupted by Suggs and they cause a bar brawl as a diversion. They jump into a cab sitting outside. After the cab driver learns they can't pay him, he kicks the four out of the cab. The Chipmunks and Miles rest, and he reveals that his dad left him when he was five years old. They raise money (by performing "Iko Iko") to take a bus to New Orleans, and sing "Uptown Funk," which gets the attention of Dave when it is broadcast on live television. Meanwhile, Suggs gets drunk and wakes up to find that he got two tattoos, one on his chest that reads "Sugg Life" and another of Alvin and the Chipmunks on his back.
Dave and Samantha meet up with Miles and the Chipmunks and are incredibly disappointed and the chipmunks and Miles are being punished for ruining their weekend. Because the Chipmunks are now on the No-Fly List, Dave has to drive the boys to Miami. When they get there, Alvin reveals that he stole the ring from the container, thus ruining the proposal. However, Miles had bonded with the Chipmunks and was upset that they were celebrating over this. He crosses the street with his headphones on and is almost hit by a car, but the Chipmunks swing Theodore and push Miles out of the way, saving his life. They agree to give the ring back.
During the dinner, Suggs catches up with the Chipmunks, but they trap him in an elevator. Miles and the Chipmunks return the ring to Dave, who reveals he never intended to propose to Samantha, and the ring belonged to his friend Barry. Dave is very disappointed in the kids, so they try to make it up to him and get the Chipettes and Miles to sing a new song for him ("Home"). Dave forgives them and Barry reconciles with his fiancee Alice. Dave takes the Chipmunks to a courthouse where he officially adopts them. Dave claims that nothing could ruin his day, but returns home to see the squirrels had destroyed everything. He then predictably screams Alvin's name.
In a mid-credits scene, Suggs has escaped the elevator and decides to relax by the pool. He's told to leave since it's for hotel guests only, but Suggs refuses and says the only way he's leaving is if they carry him off. Two security guards are called in and do just that.
The film closed in the United States on May 19, 2016. It was a box office success, with a final domestic earning of $85,886,987 and a worldwide earning of $148,911,649 for a grand total of $234,798,636, making it the fourth highest grossing Alvin and the Chipmunks film.
- Jason Lee as David "Dave" Seville (a major character)
- Tony Hale as Agent James Suggs (the hidden main antagonist)
- Kimberly Williams-Paisley as Samantha (the tritagonist)
- Josh Green as Miles (the dueteragonist)
- Bella Thorne as Ashley Grey
- Redfoo as himself
- Jennifer Coolidge as Ms. Price
- Eddie Steeples as Barry
- Maxie McClintock as Alice
- Justin Long as Alvin Seville (the main protagonist)
- Matthew Gray Gubler as Simon Seville (a supporting character)
- Jesse McCartney as Theodore Seville (a major character)
- Christina Applegate as Brittany Miller (a supporting antagonist)
- Anna Faris as Jeanette Miller (a supporting antagonist)
- Kaley Cuoco as Eleanor Miller (a supporting antagonist)
- "Wreck The Halls (Deck the Halls)" (The Chipmunks) - 0:57
- "I Want Chipmunks for Christmas" * (The Chipmunks) - 0:30
- "Jingle Bells (Pizza Toots)" (The Chipmunks) - 1:18
(*) - denotes original Chipmunk song
- On June 11th, 2013 20th Century Fox announced that a fourth installment, Alvin and the Chipmunks 4, would be released on December 11, 2015.
- The film is likely based on a combination of The Alvin Show episode Lovesick Dave and The Chipmunks episode Dave's Getting Married.
- This is the first CGI/live-action film not to feature David Cross as Ian Hawke.
- Amy Poehler does not reprise her role as the voice of Eleanor.
- A sneak peek of the film was shown during the Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Musical tour on the 8th of October 2015.
- Like Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, Mark Mothersbaugh created the musical score for the film.
- There is a character named Ms. Price, who might have been inspired by Miss Miller due to inhabiting similar characteristics.
- The Chipettes have a smaller role in this movie.
- According to UK cinemas, the film is rated U.
- The film was released on DVD/Blu-Ray combo March 15, 2016.
- This is the first film in the series that Rhythm and Hues didn't make the visual effects for The Chipmunks. Weta Digital would make The Chipmunks instead as the result of Rhythm and Hues' 2013 bankruptcy.
- This film is the first time Dave grounds The Chipmunks in the CGI/live-action film series.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 'Alvin and the Chipmunks 4' Finds a Director (Exclusive), Hollywoodreporter.com, Retrieved 2014-12-18.
- ↑ Mrs. Doubtfire Writer Signs Onto Alvin and the Chipmunks 4, Comingsoon.net, Retrieved 2014-08-23.
- ↑ 'Alvin and the Chipmunks 4' Will Now Open Opposite 'Star Wars: Force Awakens', Hollywoodreporter.com, Retrieved 2015-10-14.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip – Release Dates, Viva-press.com, Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip, Boxofficemojo.com, Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- ↑ ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS: THE ROAD CHIP, Foxmovies.com, Retrieved 2015-07-07.
- ↑ 'Alvin and the Chipmunks: Road Chip', Backstage.com, Retrieved 2015-02-09.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 Tony Hale Joins ‘Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip’ (EXCLUSIVE), Variety.com, Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- ↑ Paw-Sitive Identity, Tumblr.com, Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- ↑ Kimberly Williams-Paisley Squeaks Into ‘Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Road Chip’, Deadline.com, Retrieved 2015-03-10.
- ↑ Bella Thorne Squirrels Away ‘Chipmunks 4′ Role; Three Join ‘Pilgrimage'; 108 Media Acquires ‘Below Dreams’, Deadline.com, Retrieved 2015-03-23.
- ↑ Alvin and the Chipmunks - AlvinMovies, Facebook.com, Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 Alvin and the Chipmunks - AlvinMovies, Facebook.com, Retrieved 2015-07-07.
- ↑ Fox Dates ‘Frankenstein,’ ‘Alvin and the Chipmunks 4’ and Animated Films Through 2018, Slashfilm.com Retrieved 2016-02-15.
- ↑ Alvin & the Chipmunks bring the house down at the Syracuse Oncenter, Dailyorange.com, Retrieved 2015-10-09.
- ↑ The Road Chip: Film Score Day, Instagram.com, Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- ↑ Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip [Blu-ray], Amazon.com, Retrieved 2016-02-23.
- ↑ Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip, Wetafx.com, Retrieved 2016-02-26.